Week 74 (7/1/2026 - 7/7/2026)

      Hi everyone, welcome to my 74th blog! This is the Week 2 post for CST 438 Software Engineering.

  • Summarize what you learned about React this week. In your opinion, what the strengths and weaknesses of React.
    • Summary:
      • While I do use React at work, it is definitely a library that I only gained exposure to through the vehicle of Claude Code to contribute on frontend repositories. Most of my actual hands-on (typing code by hand) experience lies behind the frontend (backend/API, database, architecture, etc). Thus, it was nice to formally spend some time actually getting more familiar with React this week, where I got to understand the different hooks such as useState, useEffect, and useRef, along with a practical exercise with building a React frontend through Lab 3.
    • Strength:
      • I think one of the biggest strengths (and something I actually did not know) was brought up by Prof. Wisneski regarding the fact that React only applys delta (or difference) changes to the DOM (Document Object Model), which can dramatically improve performance depending on how much content on a page is updated.
    • Weakness:
      • I would say the main weakness is that React does have a learning curve of sorts. However, less substantially so than a full frontend framework such as Next.js. That said, React is almost always used in tandem with such a framework, as is the case for my company's production frontend environments.
      • The strength mentioned above technically still falls short if a website is completely rewritten from the ground up, as the delta for such a change would be massive.

    That is all for this week, see you in my Week 75 post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weeks 41 - 48 (10/26/2025 - 12/19/2025)

Weeks 65 - 72 (4/27/2026 - 6/21/2026)

Week 73 (6/22/2026 - 6/30/2026)